Sunday, October 10, 2010

It's time for a new goal...

First, I just want to mention how much I love reading about everyone's fitness routines and weight loss programs. I find your tweets and posts so motivating, and without having blogs and twitter to talk about this I don't think I would have stayed true to my plan.

Last Thursday I ran 5km in 30:06. I declared that as reaching my goal, or near enough. On Friday I had uni assessment and so didn't run. Yesterday I ran a quick kilometre before trying on wedding dresses, and so I knew I'd have to get back out there today. I really wasn't looking forward to it as much as I had been. In the past I would be excited to find out how fast I could run the 5km. Given I'd already reached it, or near enough, I was at a bit of a loss for motivation.

I had a quick chat to EA and decided to just go out there and take it easy. I pushed really hard on Thursday night and thought I'd work to reaching 30 minutes once again. So out I went, put on The City and away I went. After a few hundred metres I was just cruising along at 10km/hr, feeling good, not even vaguely wanting to hold or rest my arms on the treadmill railing thingies. So I put it up to 10.2km/hr. Then 10.4km/hr. In the last kilometre I ended up with a semi-sprint at 14km/hr.

The result:


Average speed 10.268km/hr.

I've mentioned that I'm really enjoying this running thing, even without the weight loss benefits, which are certainly a bonus. I want to keep going, but I really need to have goals. I had two options - try to get 5km faster, or try for more distance.

I've decided that my new goal is to run 10km in under an hour. Yikes. Now it's in writing I have to stick to it!

My training routine will be much the same as my 5km routine - I'll just go the 10km and will try to bring the time down, but will plan out my run/walk periods beforehand. However, because I haven't been running the 5km outside with hills and wind, I will alternate days - some days 10km, some days 5km with a 1 or 2% incline.

Anyway, I guess we'll know how crazy this idea is after I've actually done it! I've got yoga tomorrow night, but on Tuesday night I'll give it a red hot go...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so inspiring hun!!

Rachel said...

Good on you!

 

Free Blog Counter